Thursday, July 15, 2010

Overmind's Note: Ultimate.

Hey everyone. The Overmind here for a quick chat. This has nothing to do with writing but every once in a while we nonfictional people need to address our own issues, eh?

So the topic on my mind today is love. Why? Because I was just editing a story to a random playlist on Youtube and Lindsay Lohan's Ultimate came on. You know, that song from Freaky Friday? Anyway, it's pretty catchy for a pop song and it has guitar, but bits of the chorus threw me a little:

'Cause I've been waiting all my life
For someone just like you...


Wait. Hold up. The narrator of this song is assumed to be...what? Eighteen? And she's been waiting all her life for a guy to come along and sweep her off her feet? At that age, should we really be waiting for anything? I don't know about you, but if I was in the middle of the best years of my life, I would party hard, seize opportunities, and go out and accomplish things. If a love affair came along, I'd take it, but by no means would I sit around waiting for someone to hand me completion on a silver platter.

I guess I just overreact to the little things I hear on the radio, but I thought maybe I'd put in my two cents.

On that note, I leave you with a song by La Roux whose lyrics are a much more accurate summary of my outlook:

Been there, done that, messed around
I'm having fun, don't put me down
I'll never let you sweep me off my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment